Oracle Applications Parallel Concurrent Processing (PCP) Testing Question

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 07:47:21 -0700

Hello All:
As part of testing this, we have tried to kill the apps listener on one of the nodes to see if a failover is initiated. But it does not happen. We also tried to kill the FNDSM process on one of the node to see if a failover is initiated. It does not happen. We log a tar for this with Oracle and the analyst says we have to physically shutdown the node in order for this to work (but note 743716.1 does not say this).

Secondly, if you have PCP setup, you would setup some managers to be running on node1 and some managers running on node 2 and you would expect the managers running on node 1 to failover to node 2 and vice versa in the event of a crash. The analyst says the purpose of node 2 is to run only the apps listener, FNDSM and Internal monitor and that does not make sense to us. That might be the default configuration. But customers may want to distribute the middle tier load (or even database load in RAC) by forcing some managers to run on different nodes (and differet two_tasks) and I think that should be one of the advantages of implementing PCP.

How is PCP testing done at your place when this is implemented?

Thank you for your input

Kumar