RE: TSM TDPO Multiple Sessions

From: D'Hooge Freek <>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:40:31 +0200

I think this is actually normal. Netbackup does the same thing. If you backup directly to tape with NB, each backuppiece is then also a separate backup job.

Freek D'Hooge
Oracle Database Administrator
tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82

From: [] On Behalf Of Vishal Gupta [] Sent: 30 September 2009 22:36
Subject: TSM TDPO Multiple Sessions

We use RMAN to backup database to disk. And then use TSM TDP to backup RMAN backupsets from disk to TSM. Trouble is for each backup piece TDP is creating separate session to TSM.

Has anyone else encountered this issue. There is obviously some over head in creating and releasing session to TSM for backup each RMAN backupset. I raised this issue with our TSM administrator, who in turn raised it with IBM. But IBM has not provided any sensible explanation for this.

Vishal Gupta-- Received on Thu Oct 01 2009 - 04:40:31 CDT

Original text of this message