What controls RMAN history size in controlfile?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:36:32 -0500 (CDT)

Howdy all,

In 10.1.0.5.0 on AIX I have two DBs, PROD and DEV. Each are backed up using RMAN with no catalog. Each has it's CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME to the default of 7. PROD has it's MAXLOGHISTORY at 908, while DEV is 2272.

However, when querying V$BACKUP_PIECE, PROD has the default 7 days of info, but DEV currently has 167 days. V$CONTROLFILE_RECORD_SECTION shows BACKUP PIECE at 32720 RECORDS TOTAL and RECORDS USED for DEV, while PROD is only 886.

One major difference in DEV is that it has tablespaces excluded from being backed up in RMAN, but that's about all I can think of.

I can't find any docs on why this would happen to DEV or how to change it. I believe it's causing delays in RMAN processing, especially dealing with V$RMAN_STATUS, based on traces I've run.

Thoughts? Pointers to docs? I'm stumped.

TIA!
Rich