RE: What controls RMAN history size in controlfile?

From: Rich Jesse <>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:28:03 -0500 (CDT)

> Is it possible that control_file_record_keep_time used to be higher and so
> the controlfile already grew to accommodate it? If so, that would explain
> it since setting the parameter back down later wouldn't force it to shrink.

Ugh -- I was afraid you were gonna ask that. I wasn't here when the DB was originally created, so I've no idea.

I have the feeling that I'm going to need to recreate the controlfiles if I want this fixed. And until the situation gets worse, I don't think I can justify (to myself, much less everyone else impacted) fixing it.

Thanks, Brandon!