Re: SOLVED?: Oracle interprets ANSI Inner Join as an Outer Join?

From: Gints Plivna <gints.plivna_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 23:29:12 +0300

2009/9/23 Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>:
> Or better yet, do modern DBAs need to pick up ANSI SQL? Or is Oracle SQL the
> way to go? =)

I think quite many flames can be found about this theme just like about natural or surrogate primary keys :) 14 years ago I started to use (+) and get used to it. About 4 years ago I had to learn this explicit syntax and I am more and more using it now. Why? Mostly because it alllows me to avoid such errors like: ORA-01719: outer join operator (+) not allowed in operand of OR or IN ORA-01417: a table may be outer joined to at most one other table

Also I'd like to remember that table list in from clause is according to ANSI standard, just outer join operator (+) is Oracles' own idea. Don't know exactly, but I suspect because Oracle invented (+) operator before outer joins where standardized by ANSI.

Gints Plivna
http://www.gplivna.eu

P.S. The site is back now, 10 minutes reaction and repair time, I can only recommend such quality one hour before midnight (here in Latvia) for a simple web page :)