any junk password works for sys

From: sundar mahadevan <>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 19:47:56 -0400

Hi gurus,
I just had 10g grid control installed on my OEL 5.3 machine(selected option new database). I have a couple of questions to ask:

I tried to logon to http://host.domain:4889 as "sys" user but it says "error: login operation failed"

I try to logon with "sys as sysdba", then i get "this user is not a valid enterprise manager administrator"

I thought it might be a problem with password file and hence renamed the old orapwemrep and created a new orapwemrep with orapwd utility but then when i logon with "sys as sysdba" I get "your username and/or password are invalid"

Also when I logon to the database through sqlplus, any junk password for user sys works. I remember removing dba administrator group on windows servers long back to fix a similar issue. But I do not know how to fix this on my linux box. Btw, my remote_password_file is set to exclusive.

Please note that I am able to logon as "system" to http://host.domain:4889

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.