Re: cpu patch

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 19:20:49 +0200

Hi Joan

This really depends on the kind of vulnerabilities the patches fix IMHO -- which varies between each one of them. Consider this for example:

  • Your hacker has access to an account in your "non-critical" DB
  • There's an unpatched vulnerability that lets authenticated users gain DBA privileges
  • He gains those privileges in your "non-critical" DB.
  • He can now do whatever the oracle user on that system can do
  • For example, update $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys with his own key
  • He then has shell access (and if your OS is as poorly patched as your database, he'll soon have root as well)
  • It's then easy to capture other valuable information, such as password laying around in scripts, or do many naugthy things
  • And perhaps your environment has a few (or even just 1) sys password
  • And he will very soon have access to the oracle user on different servers (including your more "critical" ones).

Just some random thought, I'm sure others have other ideas ;-)

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder
s_at_10046.ch