share a new 11gR2 feature

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 07:16:52 -0700 (PDT)

A few of the things from the 11gR2 new features guide that are interesting to me. i just cut and paste from the doc, so no value add but if anyone feels inspired to share the things from the 11gR2 new features guide that they have been waiting for or think they can immediately benefit from, I am sure the rest of us would gain a better appreciation for that new feature. So if you plan to read the guide, ignore this.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e10881/chapter1.htm

1.2.2.4 IGNORE_ROW_ON_DUPKEY_INDEX Hint for INSERT Statement

With INSERT INTO TARGET...SELECT...FROM SOURCE, a unique key for some to-be-inserted rows may collide with existing rows. The IGNORE_ROW_ON_DUPKEY_INDEX allows the collisions to be silently ignored and the non-colliding rows to be inserted. A PL/SQL program could achieve the same effect by first selecting the source rows and by then inserting them one-by-one into the target in a block that has a null handler for the DUP_VAL_ON_INDEX exception. However, the PL/SQL approach would take effort to program and is much slower than the single SQL statement that this hint allows.

1.9.1.5 ASM Intelligent Data Placement

Disk drives have higher transfer rates and bytes per track on the outer tracks. This makes it preferable to keep the hotter data closer to the edge of the disk; that is, the lower numbered blocks. This feature enables ASM to identify higher performance disk regions. Most frequently accessed ASM files can be marked to be moved into the hot region and take advantage of higher I/O performance (for example, hot tablespaces and indices) and able to better meet the application I/O demand. This feature is only applicable when whole physical disks are presented to ASM versus local unit numbers (LUN).

1.9.2.11 Exadata Simulation

For a given workload, you can now simulate the possible benefits in I/O interconnect throughput that can be obtained from migration to Exadata architecture. SQL Performance Analyzer, a feature of Oracle Real Application Testing, allows simulation to be performed on a non-Exadata installation without needing to provision the Exadata system. The SQL Performance Analyzer Exadata simulation feature can be used to identify workloads that are good candidates for Exadata migration.

This feature simplifies simulation and testing of workloads for Exadata migration system change without requiring provisioning of Exadata hardware.