RE: how to make a delete statement fail

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 09:13:10 -0400

Try:

create trigger delete_fail
on <table_name>
for each row
begin
  if(DELETING) then raise_application_error(21101,"Cannot delete");   end if;
end;

Syntax may not be exactly right.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
PAREXEL International

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joe Smith Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:21 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: how to make a delete statement fail

How do I make a correct DELETE statement fail? I have a developer that wants to test a code branch and he needs a delete statement to fail.

It can't be locked ( shared or exclusive ) from a separate session or be an incorrect statement or return "0 rows deleted."

It has to be "delete from table where col = value". How can I force that to fail?

 thanks.

<http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTA GL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>