RE: changing init.ora and spfile

From: Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 15:44:32 -0400

Thanks Suzy, and everyone else!

From: Vordos, Suzy [mailto:Suzy.Vordos_at_qwest.com] Sent: Monday, August 03, 2009 3:07 PM
To: jheinrichdba_at_gmail.com; piontekdd_at_gmail.com; Bobak, Mark Cc: Oracle List
Subject: RE: changing init.ora and spfile

If in your PFILE, the comments are placed to the right of the parameter, when you convert to SPFILE they are retained in v$parameter.update_comments. Example:

*.db_block_checking='true' # Default=false Required for NFS
*.db_block_checksum='true' # Default=true Required for NFS

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jason Heinrich Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 3:39 PM
To: piontekdd_at_gmail.com; Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com Cc: Oracle List
Subject: Re: changing init.ora and spfile Cool, I learned something new today. I'd also wished for a feature like that, and behold, it already existed! Now if that column could somehow be populated by the "create spfile from pfile" command, the feature would be complete. I suppose that would be difficult though, due to varying commenting conventions.

Here it is in the docs for 10g:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14200/statements_2013.htm#i2282157

--
Jason Heinrich

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM, Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com<mailto:piontekdd_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
Mark,
  In 10g and 11g (pretty sure in 9i), you can do just that. The comments are stored in the UPDATE_COMMENT field in V$SPPARAMETER
When the pfile is dumped out, the comments show up at the end of the line

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,
        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your
        direction."
 -- William Feather

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com<mailto:Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>> wrote:

Hmm...it would be a nice enhancement to be able to do something like:

alter system set db_cache_size = 4G scope=both comment='Updated by M.Bobak as per Change Control Request #78512';

And have that comment recorded somewhere in the data dictionary, and automatically dumped when you did a 'create pfile from spfile;'.

Hmm....how do I file an enhancement request?

-Mark