RE: Decode function

From: Eugene Pipko <eugene.pipko_at_unionbay.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:36:18 -0700

You can also use GREATEST/LEAST to check conditions

Regards,

Eugene Pipko
Seattle Pacific Industries
office: 253.872.5243
cell: 206.304.7726

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Bellows, Bambi (Comsys) Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 1:34 PM
To: Jeremy.Sheehan_at_fpl.com; Oracle L
Subject: RE: Decode function

Not as such, but I do this all the time by use of the sign function.

For example, if you want to return X if val> 100, Y if it's less, and Z if it's equal , you can do:

select decode(sign(val-100),-1,'X',1,'Y',0,'Z','error') from dual;

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of SHEEHAN, JEREMY Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 3:29 PM
To: Oracle L
Subject: Decode function

I think the answer is no, but can you set greater than, less than conditions in a decode function?

TIA!! Jeremy
P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.