RE: SQL Developer, SQL*Plus woes

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 12:38:38 -0700 (PDT)

> > Any reason why not to use the command line version? I am
> > partial to it, mainly because of the command history.
> >
> > Jd
>
> JD,
>
> Oh, I do use that as well, but the cut&paste facility is a bit more than
> tedious on the Windows platform. And, I seem to have to figure out how
> to get things to work and then help the others in my group.

Both command line and Windows sqlplus have features not available in the other. For example:

  • Cmdline sqlplus allows history, the most popular benefit. Allows Control-<left> or <right> to jump one word at a time. Escape to quickly erase current line. <F7> to view history.
  • Windows sqlplus allows in-screen word search (but does not search beyond current screen). Control-C does not abort the session. If the text column has two Carriage Return's, it shows a rectangular dot, unlike the cmdline sqlplus which silently (so dangerously) "erases" the first part of the text. Try select 'x'||chr(13)||'y'||chr(13)||'z' from dual; to see what I mean.

(Ref: http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/SqlplusSetup.html, toward the bottom)

BTW, copy and paste in cmdline sqlplus is actually easier than ^C and ^V. Once you set turn on Mark or QuickEdit mode, it just needs a few minutes' practice. Double clicking text automatically selects space-bounded word, so it may be faster than selecting text in Windows sqlplus.

Yong Huang