Re: archivelog performance issues

From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton_at_bluegecko.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 13:25:26 -0700

On Jul 7, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> Uh, Yes. If you are not in archive log mode, the redo log is not
> copied to the archivelog, so there is no overhead on the switch.
> When you are not in archive log mode, you just switch to the next
> redo log and keep going, overwriting what was in the log previously.

I think some of the "overhead" people have been mentioning includes the cost of log switch checkpoint, which rightly or wrongly, drives some of the effort to size logs for switching at particular intervals. I agree that the greatest possible detractor from performance with archivelog mode is log copy. To determine if archivelog mode has any performance impact, the measurement should be whether 'log file parallel write' time for LGWR increases when ARCn are writing.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
Blue Gecko, Inc.
http://www.bluegecko.net