RE: Another note on "Best Practices" for DataGuard, Oracle Services and RAC

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:03:23 -0400

Nice Article Jared!

However, I prefer:

"Best practices" have most certainly become a label attached to "generic deployment practices designed to be executed with automated tools and the least possible requirement for intervention by a sentient party."

The point in the article that no one solution, practice, or procedure is optimal for everyone is right on. Used as good guidance, "best practices" are often helpful. Used as a restriction on doing anything else, the very phrase is evil. "But that's not 'best practice'!" is not a valid rejoinder to something that works better than "best" at a given place. Unfortunately it is increasingly hard to even discuss what should be done if it varies from the formulaic.

Regards,

mwf