Oracle EM Provisioning/patching pack

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 08:40:34 -0400

Hey all,

The recent thread on OEM's pluses and minuses got me thinking, but I didn't want to completely hijack the thread, so I figured I'd start a new one. It seems like most people use OEM/GC for day-to-day DBA activities - monitoring, checking utilization, running basic database commands, and for performance tuning, basically the tuning and diagnostic pack.

I'm curious as to why no one mentioned the provisioning pack, which Oracle markets as a solution for patching, database creation, cloning, etc. Is it too expensive? Does it not work? Are patching and deployment just not a problem for the folks on this list? What about RAC - it's supposed to be able to do RAC deployment, has anyone tried that?

As full disclosure, my company makes a software product that, among many other things, patches database, deploys RAC clusters, automates upgrades, etc. The reason I'm asking is when we're meeting with companies at trade shows, etc., a commonly heard refrain is, "Oh, OEM provisioning pack does all that stuff". Once we dig into it a bit, though, they've usually never tried it, or don't run OEM at all.

So, I figured I'd ask the list- have you ever used the provisioning pack, and what did you think? If you don't use it, why not? If people would prefer to email me off-list, I'll aggregate the info, anonymize it, and send it back to the list?

Thanks,
Matt

--

Matthew Zito