Re: Oracle EM Provisioning/patching pack

From: Rajeev Prabhakar <rprabha01_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 09:47:37 -0400

Matt,

I haven't used provisioning pack per se, however, we did look into the option of purchasing this option a couple of years ago while implementing a 10g rac architecture. One of the few things that come to mind are : need and reuse factor.

Say you happen to be in a small shop and going to have a relatively light weight (one or two) deployment load at hand in near as well as not-so-near time frame, it may not be always practical to go with EM related installation and associated maintenance activities.

Also, given the ever evolving landscape of bugs and the rightful emphasis on having a stable IT environment by the companies, it is definitely worth doing the due diligence in regards to bug research. Bottomline, if you (plus the business) cares about the system which will be rolled out, it is worth investing the time/energy. Plus, it is always beneficial to know the steps being undertaken under the hood. EM has its place, however, the sweet spot for its usefulness depends (besides other factors) upon an organization's culture, IT team's change management skills and lastly (not the least) - if you happen to belong to the minimal-GUI club. That said, for larger organizations, I would think, it should make more sense.

My 2 cents,
Rajeev