RMAN Capacity Planning Stats

From: Steven Perry <sperry_at_sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:20:52 -0500

I hope somebody has run into this before and found a solution.

Iım trying to come up with stats (time, IO, data backed up, percent changed...) for rman backups compared to our sync/split strategy. The databases are 4+ TB and I canıt get access to tape drives or a san drive to write to. Iıd like to write out to a null channel. Is it possible to allocate a channel to /dev/null or NUL (Iım on on windows)? Weıre running Oracle EE 10.2.0.4 64-bit on win2k3.

I ran a validate so I have the stats for a full. I tried running an incremental, but the stats are identical to the full because the catalogs donıt have a record of a full backup.
I considered using log history as a guestimate, but thereıs gotta be a way to fake the channels so the catalog is updated.

I searched metalink and the list, but didnıt find anything.

Thanks,
steve