Re: ora-1034 error when I create a new database using dbca

From: Jack van Zanen <>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 15:06:14 +1000

Check the logfiles

They should be in the oracle_home\cfgtoollogs\dbca\<SID> somewhere (from memory)

Post the exact messages that appear in the logfiles prior to the ora-01034

Does an alert log get created in the diag destination? Any info in there?

2009/5/5 Joan Hsieh <>

> Hi Listers,
> Please help me on this, I never encounter any problems when creating a new
> database using dbca. The screen show the ora-32006 complaining the
> background_dump_dest paramter, I have edit the init file to use
> diagnostic_dest. So I click ignore, then ora-1034 oracle not available error
> come up. I have tried couple times and can't get rid of this error.
> Another information is the first time was sucessful after copied all the
> data files to the file system. After I exit the installation window, the
> database is not up. So I deleted all and tried recreate the database and
> can't passed the ora-32006 and ora-01034 errors.
> This is solaris 10 and oracle release,
> Thanks,
> Joan
> --

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation