RE: Solid State Drives

From: Vishal Gupta <vishal_at_vishalgupta.com>
Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 09:36:19 +0100

Tanel,

I would agree. SAN cache does a pretty good job, even with RAID-5 as we have it in our bank.

Since most of the data, most of time is getting written to memory (RAM) in SAN. And it offloaded to disk in the background by SAN. So database gets a success handshake as soon as data is written to SAN cache. And with combination of server RAM (i.e db cache) and SAN cache and RAID-5, reads are also lot faster. As Tanel, suggests idead should be to optimize your SQLs so they do less IO. But even if they cant, a full tablescan might get repeatedly served from SAN cache.

Only problem I see with SAN cache is, there is no resource scheduling. Its all shared. So if you have too many system on same SAN cache, then one rouge system can bring down the entire company's systems. I have seen that happening. If there is too much written to SAN cache and writes are coming fast and thick. Then SAN does not get time to offload this dirty cache to disk,and this write pending goes above your set threshold, it starts throttling writes from all the sources. And we had a linux kernel where it eventually made all the SAN connected mount point read-only. OUCH.... Major downtime on all systems. Now linux kernels have been patches so that mount point does not become read-only under such conditions.

But SAN administrators really needs the understanding of databases IO, and also needs to be contain busy system to their own front end ports (Fibre channel ports) and their own disk and controllers.

But still they don't have the ability provided by SAN to isolate cache for a particular system. Or ability to throttle only selected systems/FC ports.

Regards,

Vishal Gupta