Solid State Drives

From: Freeman, Donald <dofreeman_at_state.pa.us>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:09:04 -0400

Has anybody given any thought to where we are going as SSD's get cheaper and bigger? We've been going round and round at my shop with discussions about RAID, other disk allocation issues, fights over storage. I mean we seem to spend a lot of time on that issue. I saw that IBM is testing a 4 TB SSD. I was wondering if you'd have to mirror that, What kind of reliability we would be getting. No more RAID discussions? I've heard there is a finite number of times you can write to it. What's the upgrade path here?