Re: Doc.ID 756671.1 Oracle Recommended Patches

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 08:23:54 +1000

It's quite funny really....

Our OS get patched regualarly (Windows every other month or so and UNIX once a year or so) but for the database there is no active patching policy.

The often heard excuse is that it requires a lot of testing, I agree. But the operating systems running these databases get routinely patched and no application testing gets done prior to it.

Just the other week we had a UNIX patch and after the patch we had some issues with oracle that required us to run an oracle patch.

I believe that the CPU patch is definately worth looking at and should be taken serious.

New database servers go to the latest and greatest version available within our policy and will have the latest CPU patch applied to it. We do not go actively looking for one-of patches that might become an issue.

Jack

2009/4/22 Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>

> So, we have one customer that is aggressively applying these recommended
> patch bundles, and have not reported any issues.
>

> Most of our other customers would not apply any patches at all, except for
> the fact that their security and/or compliance people have come down on them
> that “Thou must apply X critical patch updates per year”.
>

> I’m in favor of the, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” school of thought,
> but it seems like it’s just not going to be viable forever.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Matt
>

> --
>
> Matthew Zito
>
> Chief Scientist
>
> GridApp Systems
>
> P: 646-452-4090
>
> mzito_at_gridapp.com
>
> http://www.gridapp.com

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this
e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.
Thank you for your cooperation