RE: Doc.ID 756671.1 Oracle Recommended Patches

From: Matthew Zito <>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 13:31:23 -0400

So, we have one customer that is aggressively applying these recommended patch bundles, and have not reported any issues.

Most of our other customers would not apply any patches at all, except for the fact that their security and/or compliance people have come down on them that "Thou must apply X critical patch updates per year".

I'm in favor of the, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought, but it seems like it's just not going to be viable forever.

Matthew Zito

Chief Scientist

GridApp Systems

P: 646-452-4090

[] On Behalf Of Carol Dacko Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: Doc.ID 756671.1 Oracle Recommended Patches

Patch bundles should be the way to go. Thanks for pointing this out to us!

When we go up a 10.2.0.x release, we always apply any one-off patches that we believe we will encounter. This helps to prevent doing the one patch at a time dance.

This is definitely a path that I will recommend we do here in our department at the University of Michigan.

Thanks again!

2009/4/21 <>

Is anyone patching database according to this: "
Subject: Oracle Recommended Patches -- Oracle Database Doc ID: 756671.1
Type: ANNOUNCEMENT Modified Date : 15-APR-2009 Status: PUBLISHED

Beginning with release, Oracle releases Recommended Patches for Oracle Database. For an introduction to Recommended Patches, see Note 756388.1.

Any positive experiences ?

Because I am working on a new project (some projects are still not canceled
in these times) I am wondering about apply-all-recommended-patches approach.

It looks tempting to get rid of most of nasty bugs that manage to surface
Especially that we are beeing forced to use Oracle Streams which are somewhat outstanding with regard to Oracle recommended minimal patch list.
Oracle Physical Standby (aka Data Guard) is on the list too.

Normally we go the way "wait until problem happens"(aka if it ain't broke
don't fix it) and then try find workarround or patch but we have already encountered some bugs that could have been fixed by applying recommended patch bundles. Since it is a new project it looks to be an option.

What the others say about all those recommended patch bundles?

Thank you in advance,

Laimis N.