max databases in one RMAN catalog

From: Jeremy Schneider <>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:04:03 -0500

What is the most databases you have registered with a single RMAN catalog?

I'm familiar with the one database per schema approach (and have configured that before) however I'm interested in the ease of reporting on multiple database backups from a single schema. The rumor mill here at work is suggesting that the RMAN catalog can't handle more than a few hundred databases. Can anyone debunk or verify that? Is there anyone out there who's got a few thousand databases running nightly backups on a single RMAN catalog?

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL