Re: Suggestion on instructor-led online or in-class courses

From: Mathias Magnusson <mathias.magnusson_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 05:00:31 +0200

I agree with Tim's recommendation to read the small print, but I have a feeling this has changed somewhat. The reason for that is that I remember having one co-worker take the 10g beta exam. He got the certification eventually. It took a long time and not until months after taking it would he even know if he passed it. So while it being a bargain, the amount of questions to answer combined with the effect of not knowing if you passed until Oracle decided which questions they would keep and count made it an experience he wasn't pleased with. His final conclusion after having his certification arrive was "never again".
Unless you just enjoy answering certification questions or really need to save the money for the real test, then I don't think this is a bargain. You save money, but you pay with frustration and patience. On interesting effect of how they do this is that those taking the beta exam will not have their certification before anyone else, rather those who take the production version early will have it long before the beta exam takers gets their certifications.

Mathias