Re: "Practicing" Oracle performance tuning ...

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 10:38:12 -0700

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Ramesh Geecee <rameshgeecee_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> 2. Various tuning exercises need to be tried on boxes other than Production
> first - so how does one make the test box similar to what the production
> has?

I think you have the phrasing correct here.

Make the test system similar to production.

In my experience it is impossible to create a test system that is identical to the production system.

There are interactions with other systems that are not possible to duplicate.
Simulate, yes.
Duplicate, no.

The only reason I bring this up is sometimes it is the small differences between test and production that prevent you from duplicating a problem you are trying to solve.

Something to keep in mind when you run into a problem you cannot duplicate.

Jared Still