Re: DBA Skill tree

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:36:48 +1000

Dan Norris wrote,on my timestamp of 4/04/2009 2:08 AM:
> I'd again have to disagree on using experience as a measuring tool of
> anything. I think instead of experience, you mean proficiency or
> competency (hope I'm not putting words into your keyboard). I'm sure we
> can all think of people we've known or worked with in the past that were
> "experienced" but not competent to perform the tasks that were part of
> their job. At least I can. Part of my work is made possible by those
> fine individuals :).

Very true. I don't think it is the only criteria, but indeed it is a better one.

My approach is to look for *professionalism*. The word is out of fashion nowadays, but I've found it makes a huge difference when the person I'm dealing with has a professional approach to the job, whatever it might be.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto