RE: survey - DBA structure in your company ?

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 14:13:10 -0500

We have a bit of a mix here. One config is we have a bunch of DBAs assigned to a "pool". That pool supports x number of clients and their databases. The folks in the pool are crosstrained on all clients and trade a pager weekly for off-hour support, so they handle all emergencies. During regular hours they have a small subset of clients/dbs that they support ongoing.

The second config (which I'm a part of) is x number of DBAs are assigned to a client and they manage all dbs only for that client, trading support within the team. As with the first config, we support all facets of the DBA job, just in this case it's for one client (albeit a biggy).

David C. Herring | DBA, Acxiom Automotive

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com