Recommendations for setting up a Oracle environment for a 2-year class

From: Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 15:56:56 -0500

Good day, list,

I will be helping at a local community college, and would like to start thinking about setting up an environment where students can play and do homework. I believe we will be targeting a max of 15 students, and plan to cover basic things like software installation & patching, database creation, using EM (both Grid Control and Database Control), and all areas of management. Probably not RAC, as it would be a bit too much for an intro class series.

Anyone have experience setting up this kind of environment? I will obviously want different Oracle Homes for each student, and right now we only one host (dual cpu quad core) with 10gb of memory; would also like to squeeze EM on there as well, and I would most likely want to specify ports using the command-line options for runInstaller. Right now the host is running Slackware, which has not been too bad for us (have to do some hacks to get runInstaller going). As of now, the class is targetting Oracle 10gR2, but I am thinking 11g might be an interesting venture.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

--
Charles Schultz
Sent from: Champaign Illinois United States.