Can you create a database link back to same database instance?

From: Romeo Ybanez <raybanez_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:13:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

I have this application that archives data to a different schema on the same instance using database link. This is probably due to the fact that in the Production environment it is archived to a different instance. Two schemas are using database links to connect to themselves. One successfully connects using the same service name to itself but the other does not. I am wondering what the trick the schema has while the other one can't connect.

Example: In tnsnames.ora two service names are defined DB1 and DB2 (these are also the SID's)

At DB1 instance a public database link is created.

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK arcdb CONNECT TO arc_db IDENTIFIED BY ..... USING "DB1"; This works. But in the other instance,

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK arcdb CONNECT TO arc_db IDENTIFIED BY ... USING "DB2"; doesn't work.

So it seems that you can create a database link back to the same database instance. If not I wonder what the trick by the other db?

Thanks.

Romeo Ybanez