Re: EMC Powerpath and ASMLib

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:52:16 -0600

We did spend a lot of time on this decision. (We will potentially deploy up to a few hundred clusters based on our design.) We decided to avoid Powerpath and use Linux built-in multipathing (devmap-based) on RH5. I think that ASMLIB is fine with devmap-mpath; we chose not to use it but I think that there are some trade-offs both ways... most people probably will use it.

There are some good arguments for devmap and I think I remember a fairly recent endorsement of it on the ocfs2 list; I also wrote up some speculation about reasons against it on a blog post not too long ago over at ardentperf.com.

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Chicago, IL