Re: Auditing

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 10:17:03 -0700

The only other database available is one where they want an exact duplicate of this one I have here in Denver (the other is in Reston, VA), and we're trying to use Shareplex to accomplish that goal. So any changes here are (almost instantly) replicated to the other system, and vice versa, so tracking the changes becomes even more problematic, as an extra check needs to made to exclude replication changes.

Each data table already has basic info, update_date, updated_by, insert_date, inserted_by. I also have a procedure fired off through a trigger, so whenever a change is made, the procedure loops through all the tables for that 'master' record and generates a XML-type CLOB field of the previous version of all the data before the change. With this, it's easy for me design something similar to how Wikipedia tracks and displays changes, with the added benefit of seeing everything in context, not merely the new and old vlaues of a field.

--
-- Bill Ferguson