RE: Creating Grid backup jobs through a script

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 17:21:05 -0600

Here's how we do it:
  1. We have the same backup .ksh script on all servers in $ORACLE_BASE/admin/rman.
  2. We manage Oracle account security for the rman account through hidden files and permissions, consistent on all servers.
  3. We do have separate Grid jobs, one per database per backup type, but that's just because each has it's own schedule. They all have the same parameters for the same job. One parameter is '-L "<database list delimited by commas>"'
  4. Our backup script parses the string passed with "-L" and loops through it, validating against /etc/oratab on that server. For those databases that match in /etc/oratab, the backup runs as spelled out in any further parameters (level, tape pool, etc.)

HTH. David C. Herring  | DBA, Acxiom Automotive

630-944-4762 office | 630-430-5988 cell | 630-944-4989 fax 1501 Opus Pl | Downers Grove, IL, 60515 | U.S.A. | www.acxiom.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of John Hallas Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 3:27 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Creating Grid backup jobs through a script

I am looking at how to consolidate various RMAN backups to be scheduled and managed through Grid. Currently we have a mixture of Grid, crontab and 3rd party schedules running RMAN jobs.

I am guessing that there must be a method of creating a grid job by using a script containing all the credentials, database name, backup type etc but I don't think I have ever come across any information around this.

Has anybody got any suggestions or even better an example.

Here's hoping

John

John Hallas
Oracle DBA
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
Tel 0845 611 4589 Mob: 07876 790540
E-mail: john.hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank you.