Re: Questions about TDE

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 11:01:04 +0100

Another thing to keep in mind ...

With TDE, the en/de-cryption takes place upon USING the data (sending to client, etc). Therefore it stays encrypted in memory (buffer cache, log buffer, sort segments, etc etc)
With Tablespace encryption, en/de-cryption takes place upon READING FROM DISK (resp writing to disk). Therefore it stays in PLAINTEXT in all memory regions.

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht
CEO & Founder