Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: Jared Still <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 16:52:13 -0800

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:16 PM, Branimir Petrovic <>wrote:

> Jared, thanks for the pointer!
> As it turns out - if I rename sqlnet.ora file to _sqlnet.ora to make it
> "dissapear" - the problem is gone and I can do "sqlplus '/ as sysdba'"!?
> With sqlnet.ora present (btw it was created by the 'netca'), it does not
> follow any attempt at '/ as sysdba'.

Setting it to NONE will also cause the error.

It isn't necessary to rename the sqlnet.ora file, just remove the sqlnet.authentication_services
line from the file.

I just checked few of my other Linux (4) systems (32 and 64 bit) and none of
> them had sqlnet.ora file (I installed these quite some time ago, and never
> noticed that sqlnet.ora is not there from day 1), how strange...

Oracle will use the tnsnames.ora that is present even without sqlnet.ora.

It will also use LDAP via OID autodiscovery without a sqlnet.ora file. That requires 10g+ and some setup by the network admin however.

Jared Still