RE: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:16:07 -0500

Jared, thanks for the pointer!

As it turns out - if I rename sqlnet.ora file to _sqlnet.ora to make it "dissapear" - the problem is gone and I can do "sqlplus '/ as sysdba'"!?

With sqlnet.ora present (btw it was created by the 'netca'), it does not matter if SLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES is NTS or NONE, ORA-01031 would follow any attempt at '/ as sysdba'.

I just checked few of my other Linux (4) systems (32 and 64 bit) and none of them had sqlnet.ora file (I installed these quite some time ago, and never noticed that sqlnet.ora is not there from day 1), how strange...

Branimir

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 4:07 PM
To: Branimir Petrovic
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com> wrote:

	sqlnet.ora has:
	  SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)

Try commenting that line out in your sqlnet.ora file.

NTS is used for windows OS authentication.

I just tried this on a linux server with NTS, and it prevents SYSDBA logons
with OS authentication.

Jared