RE: Does the Rman Catalog hold tape volume names?

From: Kevin Lidh <kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:37:07 -0700

Kevin,

When I used the script in combination with legato networker, I noticed that the media column had sometimes more then 1 media id in it (separated by a comma).

I have quickly checked with a netbackup configuration, but I don't have a case in which a backup piece is split over 2 tapes. Do you remember which version of netbackup was used?

regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
e-mail: freek.dhooge_at_uptime.be
tel. +32 (0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer

From: Kevin Lidh [kevin.lidh_at_gmail.com] Sent: 10 February 2009 22:33
To: Thomas.Mercadante_at_labor.state.ny.us Cc: Allen, Brandon; D'Hooge Freek; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Does the Rman Catalog hold tape volume names?

When I worked at an organization that backed up directly to tape, we ran into issues where a backup piece would span more than one tape (maybe it started towards the end of one). In that case, the catalog was only aware of the first tape ID. Our SA had to run some NetBackup script to get the whole tape list and ensure it was available.