Re: Compatibility parameter

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 07:31:15 +0100

Hi Luka

Compatible determines the behaviour of the Oracle version you're running. Setting it to the same version like the release you have installed enabled all of its features.

After an upgrade the compatible plays a special role. In your case, after upgrading from Oracle9 to 10g (or higher), opening the database with compatible set to 10+ for the first time, will update the datafile headers to the new 10g format. Thereby making a direct downgrade no longer possible, as the 9i binaries can no longer read the files.

In general, unless there's very specific bugs forcing you to do otherwise (which happens rarely), it should be set to the same version as the software you're running, 10.2.0.4.0 in your case.

For some more info, see ML Notes *444709.1 **30699.1 or **733987.1 ... *there's
more on metalink

Cheers

Stefan

Stefan P Knecht