Re: ** latest stable oracle 10G client

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 18:31:45 -0600

Alan,

Sorry if I was unclear, but maybe you misunderstood me. What I meant to ask was why you'd avoid 11g R1 (it has been available for 18 months now); your reply looked like you thought I meant 10g R2. In the past year, about 50% of the customers I've visited have 11g R1 in production (most were before 11.1.0.7 even). Two of those are RAC customers as well. I'm not sure what Oracle can offer for 11g production customer numbers or percentages. I'd guess just based on my unscientific, heresay-based discussions that there probably about 25% 9.2, 60% 10g R2, and 10% 11g (the rest are probably older or 10g R1). I have no sources for my guesstimates, just my guess. I'd love to hear everyone else's guesses!

I think that most of the 11g issues that are likely to impact most customers have been found and patched by now. I also expect that 11g R2 will introduce some big new features. New features also usually bring along their share of issues too--that's the cost of innovation as I see it.

If I were deploying a system today, I'd absolutely use 11g R1. But I suspect that's just me...not everyone would agree.

Dan