Re: Large block sizes for OLAP database

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:40:23 -0800

I worked on a project that had a 17TB (compressed) partitioned table and 32TB of temp space using an 8k block. This was a straight forward dimensional model and there were not any tables with extremely long rows (none that exceeded an 8k block).

I guess it depends on what "OLAP type" means in terms of implementation.

Personally I see little value in different block sizes (I use 8k). There are numerous other design decisions that have far more performance impact.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn