SDU setting being ignored?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:50:02 -0600 (CST)
Yes, I'm traveling down the dark path of Oracle traffic over a WAN. Naturally, I want to test changing the SDU to optimize it. Client is 32-bit WinXP, server is AIX 5.3TL8 and both are using v10.1.0.5.0 Oracle.
To test, I added these entries to $OH/network/admin/listener.ora on the server:
(DESCRIPTION_LIST=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST = (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=myhost)(PORT=1526)(QUEUESIZE=32)))))
(SID_LIST = (SID_DESC = (SDU = 8192)(SID_NAME = mydb)))
I then started the MYDBWAN listener, so as not to affect connections to the default listener:
lsnrctl start mydbwan
On the client's %OH%\network\admin\tnsnames.ora, I added:
I enabled a net trace in the client's sqlnet.ora. When connecting to MYDBWAN from SQL*Plus, the trace has:
[28-JAN-2009 13:01:15:966] nsc2addr:
[28-JAN-2009 13:01:15:966] nttbnd2addr: entry
[28-JAN-2009 13:01:15:966] nttgetport: entry
[28-JAN-2009 13:01:15:966] nttgetport: port resolved to 1526
[28-JAN-2009 13:01:15:976] nsopen: lcl=0xf4ffefff, lcl=0x102000,
gbl=0xfabf, gbl=0x0, tdu=32767, sdu=2048
Still only 2048! I've tried changing "SERVICE_NAME" to "SID" in the tnsnames.ora, selecting different values for SDU on both client and server, and bouncing the listener in between each change. But I can't confirm that SQL*Net's using a non-default SDU value.
I've searched the Oracle Net Admin Guide, Metalink, and the List archives, but no luck. I think the last time I messed with this was in the Fatcity days...