RE: Thoughts on crs installation on HP-UX

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:32:58 -0800 (PST)

> Neither bonding nor trunking offers a perfect solution for Ethernet
> device HA - if you try to use link aggregation, they have to both be
> connected to the same switch, creating a SPOF, and if they're connected
> to both switches, then either MII link notification (unreliable with
> certain drivers) or ARP pinging (bad mojo happens if an external network
> failure occurs) has to be used to detect failures.
>
> Not that it won't work fine in most environments, but Linux bonding
> isn't nearly as nice as what the commercial clustering solutions
> (Veritas, SG, etc.) offer.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

Matt,

Are MII link notification and ARP pinging something done on the switch or the workstations (servers)? Is the latter what arping Linux command does?

# arping -I bond0 -c 2 10.111.111.33
ARPING 10.111.111.33 from 10.111.111.32 bond0 Unicast reply from 10.111.111.33 [00:1B:78:9C:A3:0A] 0.645ms

But I think your point is to have a way to detect the failure of a slave interface that makes up the bonding interface. I don't know if arping does that. But we can simply run ifconfig or `ip address show' and grep DOWN. Right? Or check words like "link status definitely down for interface eth3" in /var/log/messages? We rarely had issues with these interfaces. Linux bonding seems to be fairly stable for us. Our two slave interfaces connect to two switches each.

Yong Huang