Re: RAC Archive logs on ASM

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 21:55:24 +0100

Hi Raj,

I would not recommend to put archivelogs on the same diskgroup as the database itselve:
By the nature of ASM diskgroups (striping across all Disks) If one of your disks fail, the whole DG is unusable (As you have no redundancy). In this case, the DB and archivelogs are lost. (sounds like a kind of desaster for me)
If you put option 2 so a (single) disk-failure affects either the DB or the archivelogs. For me this is the better way.

> .... It address the above two issues but question is how.

(I havn't tested this procedure right now, so it comes just out of my memory. Please handle with care, test and re-think before you apply it on production)
1) find the disk you want to remove from your existing diskgroup in v $asm_disk
2) remove it from your existing diskgroup running: ALTER DISKGROUP dgroup1 DROP DISK diska5; http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/storeman.htm#ADMIN10222 3) check v$asm_operation for a completed drop! 4) check v$asm_disk if the disk is not used anymore (HEADER_STATUS => FORMER)
5) create a new Diskgroup with this Disk.

hth,
  Martin