RAC Archive logs on ASM

From: RAAZ <yoursraju007_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:15:46 -0500

Hello,

Here is a situation. There are four raw disks( with no redundancy) assigned to ASM disk group, which contains control files, redo, data, and temp files. I want to enable archive log mode and keep archives in a shared file system in ASM. There are two options I can think of

  1. Place them under same disk group: This is simplest option but writing archive logs to the same disk group where datafiles reside wouldn't be nice (space issues and writing load)
  2. Move the data existing on a disk to remaining 3 disks and remove this disk from existing disk group and create a separate disk group for Archive logs. It address the above two issues but question is how.

What would you pick outta these two and why ?

TIA,
Raj Mareddi