RE: Oracle Performance on VMWare

From: M Rafiq <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:52:17 -0500

Thanks for your responses. It was a documented requirement in a Metlaink note. I searched on Metalink when we are asked to put some databases under vmware inluding production database as per vendor recommendation. It was sometime in 2005-2006.

Subject: RE: Oracle Performance on VMWareDate: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 15:53:40 -0500From: mzito_at_gridapp.comTo:;;

Thatís been our experience as well Ė certainly more than 90% of the time, they have no idea itís on a VMWare box anyway, and weíve never been told to reproduce an error on a physical machine first (and a lot of our SRs have to do with low-level things like CRS, ASM, etc.)

From: [] On Behalf Of Allen, BrandonSent: Friday, January 02, 2009 3:41 PMTo: M Rafiq; oracle listSubject: RE: Oracle Performance on VMWare

Thatís only a requirement if itís a new bug that isnít already known to exist with Oracle on the native OS directly. I think (my opinion here) Oracle support is reasonable enough to work with their customers on this and will probably meet you half way Ė they will search their knowledge base and do some preliminary investigation and only if they get to the point that they think itís an issue solely with VMWare or Oracle on VMWare specifically, then at that point they will require you to reproduce on a non-VMWare platform before they troubleshoot further. I think thatís a fair approach. So far for me, the fact that Iím running on VMWare hasnít even come up in the conversations with Oracle Support (and Iíve had a few). Once it does, I may change my tune.

From: M Rafiq [] Has Oracle changed their requirement to reproduce any bug or production issue on a physical server installation of Oracle if it happened on Oracle installed on vmware?