RE: Method for migrating schema from PROD to DEV

From: Baumgartel, Paul <>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:26:53 -0500

  1. Make sure all of the production tablespaces exist in dev, and with sufficient space
  2. Make sure all production roles exist in dev
  3. Make sure to create dev user with same system privileges, role grants, and tablespace quotas as production

3. Don't drop dev user; just drop all its schema objects

Paul Baumgartel
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
Phone 212.538.1143

[] On Behalf Of SHEEHAN, JEREMY Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:12 PM
Subject: Method for migrating schema from PROD to DEV

Does anyone have a proven method for migrating a schema from PROD to DEV? I plan on using export/import, but I've got a few reservations about the migration steps.

I think the best method would be to do the following

  1. Export Schema in PROD
  2. Export Schema in DEV (for backup)
  3. Drop user in DEV
  4. Create basic user in DEV
  5. Import user in DEV
  6. Verify object count - PROD vs DEV
  7. Compile schema

Does this sound right?

P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.