RE: Method for migrating schema from PROD to DEV

From: SHEEHAN, JEREMY <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_fpl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 16:31:20 -0500

I started on the route of just dropping objects, but I came across some constraint issues. I know that I could get around it by dropping the tables in a particular sequence, but I'm in kind of a rush. I thought that just dropping the user and cascading it's objects it would work just as well.

I didn't think about the TS Quotas. I'll be sure to keep that in mind before I migrate this. I'll just recreate the user as best as I can, then rerun any grants/privs that were missed due to missing objects.

Thanks!

Jeremy
P Consider the environment. Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

From: Baumgartel, Paul [mailto:paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com] Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:27 PM
To: SHEEHAN, JEREMY; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Method for migrating schema from PROD to DEV

  1. Make sure all of the production tablespaces exist in dev, and with sufficient space
  2. Make sure all production roles exist in dev
  3. Make sure to create dev user with same system privileges, role grants, and tablespace quotas as production

OR

3. Don't drop dev user; just drop all its schema objects

Paul Baumgartel
CREDIT SUISSE
Information Technology
Prime Services Databases Americas
One Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10010
USA
Phone 212.538.1143
paul.baumgartel_at_credit-suisse.com
www.credit-suisse.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of SHEEHAN, JEREMY Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 4:12 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Method for migrating schema from PROD to DEV Does anyone have a proven method for migrating a schema from PROD to DEV? I plan on using export/import, but I've got a few reservations about the migration steps.

I think the best method would be to do the following

  1. Export Schema in PROD
  2. Export Schema in DEV (for backup)
  3. Drop user in DEV
  4. Create basic user in DEV