Re: performance impact of archivelog

From: David Ballester <ballester.david_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:54:32 +0100

El lun, 17-11-2008 a las 13:18 -0200, Renato M escribió:
> Hi, list.
>
> I'm with the same doubt...
> We have a Data Warehouse database in "no archivelog" mode with
> 180GB/day of redo generation.
>
> because of a new backup solution/ strategie, we need put it in
> "archivelog ON".
>
> Claudia,
> Have you any other information about it ?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Renato Gomes
> Eds, an HP Company.

180GB / day?

Are you logging all your datawarehouse feeding?

IMMO you need to verify if your loads are doing with direct path or not.

The data load should be done with direct path ( sqlldr direct=y, Insert /* +APPEND */ ... )

Make extend use of partitioning and exchange_partition ( local indexes if any , etc...)

Forget the archiving, use datapump or export direct to make "backups" ( note the quotes )

May be you must point your backup/restore strategies on the points where you extract data from ( have a way to regenerate data ( previous exports + regeneration on the data source, for example... ) to load in the datawarehouse if things goes bad(tm) )

my 2 cents

D.