Re: performance impact of archivelog

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 14:44:23 -0800

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 7:54 AM, David Ballester <ballester.david_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> IMMO you need to verify if your loads are doing with direct path or
> not.
>
> The data load should be done with direct path ( sqlldr direct=y,
> Insert /* +APPEND */ ... )

I second this point. Data is most efficiently and most speedily inserted via direct path (for warehouses). This does effect recoverability, but what is faster? Reloading via direct path again, or rolling forward from a backup? In almost all cases a restore + reload will be faster than a restore + roll forward recover. Of course, each has their own set of business criteria to satisfy.

And I personally would never run a production database in noarchive log mode. Never.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn