Re: Connecting to Oracle using sqlplus, bypass tnsnames.ora question

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <sjaffarhussain_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 16:31:59 +0300

You can do it (I guess from 10gR1), something called, 'connection less configuration'as follows:
 sqlplus username/password@//hostname/ipaddres:PORT/SID

Example: sqlplus scott/tiger@//host1:1521/ORCL

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Is there a way to use sqlplus and connect to a database without using
> tnsnames.ora?
>
> Specify the whole connect string in the command line?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Lyndon Tiu

Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle Certified Master (10g)
http://www.oracle.com/technology/ocm/shussain.html
Oracle ACE
http://apex.oracle.com/pls/otn/f?p=19297:4:1579866181463918::NO:4:P4_ID:126
OCP 8i,9i & 10g DBA
RAC Certified Expert
Official Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian region  (
http://www.oracleracsig.org/)
I blog at
http://jaffardba.blogspot.com/
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."