Re: Average physical read times for AIX & SAN

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:18:13 -0400

I confess I missed this as well. We had an identical problem that went beyond astronomical times for log writes, it included write times similar to those displayed below on data files. The issue threatened to cause cancellation of an entire major project.

Our solution was pretty simple. Check the segment size on the array. In our case, every 'expert' (consultant) insisted 8k was optimal. Nonsense. When we finally bumped it up to 64k and moved the logical volumes containing the redo logs off the disks on which the data files were striped, throughput went to acceptable levels.

Average ms for reads on our datafiles is 2.